Monday, June 18, 2012

Rapunzel

I just got back from the SCBWI Florida Mid-Year Workshop and thought I'd post some character sketches I made for the occasion. This is my version of Rapunzel. You'll notice that I gave her a sidekick, her dog Malcolm. Don't worry about him when it comes time to flee the tower- if you look at the last picture closely, you'll see that Rapunzel has a plan! Here's a portrait of them both:


This is an experiment in crewel embroidery. Some of you may remember my poor octopus (see the previous post), who is currently languishing in a drawer due to a lack of black thread. Here I imagine her to be a kind of amateur naturalist. I think you would be interested in nature if you were trapped in a tower and had nothing to do but look out the window all day.


Nothing to do, that is, but serenade Malcolm:


And write in her journal in bed:


Finally, here's my tie-in to this week's Illustration Friday topic, "secret": Rapunzel plots her escape! Click on the picture so you can see all her covert plans up close!






2 comments:

  1. Great bunch of illustrations! My favorite is the cozy bed scene, so nicely done! Love the piano and also the great detailed style in the final one with the secret plans. (I would never doubt that she had a plan for Malcolm!)

    ReplyDelete